It is often said in ministry, “People don’t care what you know until they know that you care.” YLM, in partnership with the Lutheran Hispanic Missionary Institute, offers intensive Spanish language courses with the following goal in mind: equipping students with enough Spanish to show Hispanics in their communities and congregations that they care.
Three future offerings are currently in the works: August 4-11, 2012, January 5-12, 2013, and August 3-10, 2013. NO previous Spanish experience is necessary! Visit the Conversations in Spanish website to download a brochure, view a sample schedule, or to register! You may also register by contacting (915)858-2588 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to call or e-mail with any questions or concerns as well.
Here are some basics…
Instruction is provided by a local language institute, Language Plus, Inc.
Five hours of instruction will be provided daily, along with a nightly presentation on a contemporary Hispanic ministry topic. Optional field trips will enhance your cultural understanding of the borderland.
Cost: $685 (tuition, lodging in the YLM dormitory–ask us about other options if you’d prefer not to stay in the dorm, all meals with the exception of 1, workbook)
CD to accompany the workbook: $30
JumpStart weekend (arrive a day early to “jumpstart” your language learning, delve deeper into what YLM and LHMI are about, and experience more of what one of the world’s largest interational metroplexes has to offer): $75
Group Discount: $20/person for churches/organizations registering 3+ students
Earlybird Discount: $20/person for students who register before a fixed date.
You can read a news article about the 2nd annual session, held in August 2011, here, or view August 2011 photos and student comments below…[nggallery id=45]
Spanish for life and mission!
- “Thank you for a week that was filled with many blessings. I have been moved to tears many times this week. Thank you and God bless you.”
- “I would recommend it to others.”
- “The instruction was exactly what I needed to increase my proficiency. I appreciated the flexibility in ‘meeting me where I am.’”
- “The cost spent provided a great deal of value & was well worth it–not just for the Spanish, but for the overall experience of getting to know El Paso, Juarez, and more of YLM & LHMI.”
- “A great program–great people! Great language study; intro to la frontera; tools for cross-cultural (inc. Hispanic) ministry. Muchas gracias!”
- “I wish I could take one (or both!)[instructors from Language Plus] back home!”
“Where can you…
- jump-start your learning of Spanish,
- gain appreciation for the culture & history of El Paso & Mexico,
- consider important features in Hispanic ministry,
- be inspired by the lives of people meeting & serving Christ,
- receive ministry to your spirit in Jesus’ name,
…all while eating VERY well?
No where but Conversations in Spanish…”
This post is also available in: Spanish